Friday, October 10, 2008

IT

I said, "Take this from me.
It's too heavy to carry
And I don't want the burden of it anymore.
It has weighed me down for so long.
Please, take it from me.
It changes me, it ages me,
It takes away my grace and my peace.
I fail myself because of it.
It does me no good.
It does you no good.
Please, take it from me.
I can hear the cracks it makes.
I can feel the shudder it sends up my spine.
It clings to me like beggar lice from the field.
I hate it. I hate the feeling it brings.
It is cold. It eats up my joy.
Don't you understand?!
Please take it from me.
I don't want it anymore."

I cried and I pleaded.
And then I simply asked,
"Why won't you take it from me?"

And you said, "I cannot take it if you won't let it go."

1 comment:

Karen Hatch said...

Lisa,
'It' sounds like Job...so passionate and full of truth. Whatever 'It' is, my prayer is that you let go.

You have such a gift.