Monday, March 31, 2008

Recording.....

I went into the studio last Thursday and recorded two more songs. Fred is so easy to work with and the whole process just becomes fun and exciting! I'm always a little stiff when I first get started and sometimes my fingers go in the wrong direction on the guitar or my timing is off or my voice is just a little bit off kilter. But, usually, once I get going and get warmed up and get a good dose of Fred's enthusiasm and encouragement, I get better and sound better and play better. Neither of the two songs that I recorded on Thursday was easy. The challenge of the first was to sing it with as much expression as possible so as to highlight the vocals and the lyrics and pull away from the monotony of the guitar part (adding other instruments will do that even more so, but I really wanted my voice to be able to do it the most). The challenge of the second song was to keep the timing on the guitar and the action of my fingers (which strings were picked in which order) consistent and right on it.

Fred made me a rough mix of each of the songs and I think I met both challenges. I'll have to listen through another twenty times or so to be sure. He also made me a rough mix of the three songs that my son Daniel played the bass and djimbe on. They sound so great!! Especially the djimbe!! And his timing with both the bass and the djimbe is so in sync with mine! I had to call him up and play the CD over the phone for him! I think it'll be a really good record when we get it done. I decided to take my time on it. Do a little at a time so as to spread out the cost and the energy; to really think through all the songs and get a vision for each one. I'm hoping it'll be a 2008 release!! But we'll see.

I am very tired today and over-worked and sleep-deprived. I am looking forward to getting off work this evening, heading to the grocery store for a six-pack of cold beer and the fixins for chicken and rice, then home to unwind and decompress. Work has been so busy. And a bit crazy, too.

It'll be good to crawl into my bed tonight. I was very cold early this morning when I got to go to sleep for a couple of hours. I'm putting the extra quilt back on the bed tonight and filling up the hot water bottle, too! Make myself a nest and crawl in.

Only five more weeks until I head to Russia. I'm getting very excited. A little nervous, too, but mostly getting the start of that wonderful feeling I once heard Maya Angelou call "journey proud."

Peace.

No comments: