Friday, November 4, 2011

One Child



This is One Child, a song that I wrote in the weeks that followed a mission trip I made to the Petrovsky orphanage in Russia. As I say in my introduction, I felt like what we had done was a good thing and a powerful thing but it seemed like such a small thing in a big and mean world. I wanted to do more. I wanted to bring a whole bunch of them home with me! I wanted to sell all my possessions and move in with them and be their mama. I wanted to really really really make a difference. In the end, as Mother Theresa said, "we can do no great things. Only small things with great love." We may never know how much of a difference we made for those children, but we can know that we loved and we tried and, if not for them, that will make a difference for us, in us, and so, the world changes ever so slightly. Ever so slightly, multiplied by a million ever-so-slightlies, can change the world. We just have to start...........

Peace to you.

PS - A big thank you to Jon Elion for his lead guitar and Lorna Roberts for her harmony vocals on this performance

I am crying out to heaven. I'm so tired of being scared.
I'm asking God to send me an angel.
Won't you send me someone who cares?
Everywhere I turn I see such sadness.
Still I have this hope I hold inside
That someone will want to make a difference
And they'll start with one child.

I am one child, can you feed me?
I am hungry and cold down in my bones.
I am one child, can you see me?
I am lonely and longing for a home.
Change the world. Be the turning of the tide.
But could you start with one child?

So many times I've been shattered
By an angry world I cannot control.
I try to hide the ways that I've been battered,
Such a heavy weight for a tiny soul.
I would give you all that I hold dear to me
Just to see the sweetness of your smile.
You could change my world this much is clear to me
But could you start with one child.

I am one child, can you teach me?
I am willing to learn and understand.
I am one child, can you reach me?
I dream I see you holding out your hand.
Change the world. Be the turning of the tide.
But could you start with one child?
Start with me - one child.

-----Yours truly, One Child, June 2008

No comments: