Friday, November 4, 2011

Thursday, November 3: On the occasion of the 105th anniversary of my grandfather's birth, I am grateful for the freckles that adorn my face and for the red tones in my hair, both of which I got from my grandfather. When I was a little girl, my grandmother used to hold me up to the mirror and smile at me smiling at her and she'd say, "Who do you look like? Where did you get that strawberry freckle face?" I was her favorite grandchild because of that strawberry blond hair and those gazillion freckles that light up my face. I grew up loving those freckles because my grandmother and grandfather loved them so. Years later, when my grandparents were gone, I would discover that my brothers and sisters and my cousins all had special, unique inherited gifts that my grandparents adored. We were all their "favorite" grandchild. My grandmother had that particularly wonderful gift of making a person feel extra special and extra loved.

I delivered a beautiful, healthy baby yesterday on my grandfather's birthday. And I felt proud to be his granddaughter. I am so grateful to have been loved so well.

Friday, November 4: I am grateful today for Friday afternoons and weekends off and the chance to have nowhere to go, to just be home with my sweet dog Baby and my strange but equally sweet, drooling cat Buster. Like Baby and Buster, I have become especially fond of naps. I am a skilled nap-taker. And I'm grateful this afternoon for the cloudy gray sky and the time to curl up under the covers and drift, unfettered, out into whatever world my mind chooses to create for me. It is good to recover. It is in my dreams that I fly, that I succeed, that I laugh with abandon, that I face my demons, that I battle and win, that I pray and sing and heal. And so, on this cloudy Friday afternoon, I am grateful for the chance to do just that.

Until later, peace all.

No comments: