Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Little stacks of scrap paper.......

I had quite a weekend this past weekend. One that ran the whole gamut of female-maternal-family emotions. It was like a roller coaster that you can't get off! Up and down. Worried then relieved. Sad then happy. Filled then strangely empty. Certain then confused. I'll start at the start.....

My kids' dad called me at about 5:30 on Wednesday, just as I was heading out the door for a combination open mic/going away party for Michelle, a woman who had moved here about the same time I did. She is a wonderfully funny, intelligent, talented woman. Younger than me, way prettier, and a great stand-up comedienne. She was leaving Friday to move to Chapel Hill, ready for the world and gainful employment! Dan (my kids' dad) called to tell me that my son Jacob was in the Emergency Room in Chapel Hill with a possible appendicitis. This started a series of phone calls back and forth between my son and me, his dad and me, my other son and me, my parents and me, my sister and me, the ER and me...... on it went until well after midnight. He did not have appendicitis after all. He had acute pancreatitis and was one sick and miserable young man.

I worked Thursday (and it got so busy and some intense and sad things happened there) until 3 (but didn't finish up until after 4), rushed home, threw stuff together to head south, cleaned up the house (one of my obsessions about travelling - you HAVE to leave a clean house), and hit the road just before six. It was, of course, raining. And proceeded to rain for the next 5 hours of driving. I talked to my son, intermittently during the drive, but he was doped up to the hilt and sometimes didn't make much sense! Drove straight to the hospital in Chapel Hill and got there a little after 11. Getting into the hospital to see him was a trip!! They took my driver's license and scanned it into a computer, took my picture like a mug shot!!!, and then plastered a sticker on my chest with said mug shot on it. I wasn't expecting to find him in Critical Care. This unnerved me.

I had little sleep the night before, worked my ass off all day, then drove five hours. I was pretty beat. I had one of those mysterious three beer hangovers, too. One you don't expect but get anyway. Jacob was not a happy camper when I arrived. He was upset about the lack of information he'd been given, unhappy about not being able to eat, tired from being in the ER for - get this all you long-wait-in-the-ER complainers - 12 hours!! (He wasn't even in a room during that time! He wasn't even behind a curtain! He was on a stretcher at the nurses' station!! The nurse himself told me that!). And he still felt like crap. He fell asleep awhile after I got there and after we'd talked to his nurse and got some information about what was happening. He was very anxious about missing classes (that how he is). And, like I said, he still felt like crap. I sat by his bed and watched him sleep and wondered at how so much time has gone by so damn fast. I thought, too, about how beautiful my children are - both of them - to look at, to know. I still can't believe I had anything to do with that!! I can hardly believe I'm their mom!

So bottom line, he's much better now. He was released Friday evening. He had nothing by mouth for two days, then they gave him liquids at lunch, then a cup of ice cream, then for supper macaroni and cheese, boiled carrots, and garlic bread (my God!! it's an epidemic!! this hospital food thing!). No pain thirty minutes later and he was booted out the door! From critical care to the front door to WALK back to campus! And discharge instructions?!! These were his discharge instructions in their entirety - "if you have pain, fever, or vomiting, come back to the ER." That was it!! TODOS! Nothing else. Not even "see your doctor next week." Lord, what were they thinking!! And, to top it all off, THIS is one of North Carolina's premier medical centers!! Yeah, right! Makes me very proud of our little hospital here on the Eastern Shore.

So that's my rant on that. I was furious. I was frustrated. I was scared for him. (I was not there when they discharged him - I would have asked a lot of questions. He's 20. He just wanted out!).

I realized, during the experience, that the letting go has already occured. I know that probably doesn't make much sense but, to me, it does. I mean, I'm still working on letting go. Moms hold on a bit longer (though his dad is a holder-on-er, too). But my son has moved further out than I had let myself understand. And it was an emotional thing for me. I mean....... I really DO have an empty nest now. It's permanent. It's not that I didn't know it before. I just didn't KNOW it before.

I drove from Raleigh back up to Emporia on Saturday (halfway home) to meet with the rest of the mission team making the trip to Russia. There are 20 of us going. There are 11 going to the orphanage in Chentsy and 9 going to the orphanage in Petrovsky. I'm on the Petrovsky team. Four of us on the team live on the Eastern Shore, four live in Danville, and one lives near DC. So it was the first time we'd had the chance to meet each other face-to-face. It went well, I think. It ought to be an incredibly neat experience, sharing this time and this work with this group of people. I'm looking forward to it. We met at a United Methodist Church in Emporia. A group of the women from that church fixed a luncheon for us. And they had pens and pencils on the table for us, and note paper for us to write on, and a stapler and other office supplies. I got a kick out of watching them get our lunch ready and appreciated their warmth and hospitality. But there was something about those little stacks of scrap paper that just moved me so, almost to tears. It was so thoughtful.

After the meeting, I drove back to Raleigh and scrubbed myself up to go out to the Arts Center with my mom and dad for an evening of Italian Opera. The North Carolina Opera company put on the performance. Their orchestra is amazing. The soloists were outstanding. They sang my mother's favorite aria, my father's favorite aria, and my favorite aria. I was sitting there in between my mom and dad, looking from one to the other, and listening to that incredibly beautiful music. And I was thinking about how ill my son had been and how blessedly quick his recovery was coming. And I was thinking about my mom and dad and how precious every moment I have with them has become. And I was thinking about going to Russia and meeting these kids in the orphanage and trying to be a disciple (me - little me, who I thought had so little to offer - I'm going to be able to try to be a good disciple), and then I got to thinking about those little stacks of scrap paper. Then it started. That crying thing. That MOM crying thing. I cried those tears that moms cry. You know, the ones you cry without letting anyone see you crying them. The ones that are made of silver and gold and pure love. The ones that the angels catch before they ever touch the ground. The ones that come from inside your heart not inside your eyes.

I spent several hours with Jacob on Sunday. He's still very tired. Still a little leary of any hint of pain. (It's horrible pain, that pancreatitis stuff). He's a little pale and he's lost weight (and he was already slender!). But he's going to be alright, and that's what matters. That was the hardest leaving to drive home that I've had since I've lived here on the Eastern Shore. I just wanted to stay for awhile longer. Hang out with him. Have a couple more good meals at my mother's table. Sleep in my mom's sewing room, and feel that wonderful relief from the homesickness that I get so often.

Baby, my sweet dog, kept me good company. It was almost like she knew some kind of something was happening. Every little bit, she'd lean her nose up between the two front seats and nudge me just a little. Just letting me know that she adores me no matter what. Dogs are cool that way. They know when you need some extra loving.

I've been battling with my computer for days now and I'm coming to appreciate why some people smash their computers into small pieces with sledge hammers. I had visions of doing just that last night as I was headed to bed. Could imagine the whole scene with great delight. Fortunately for the computer, I cannot afford a new computer or even a computer repair right now, so my computer is safe. (But just for now, you piece of junk!).

Enough of my ramblings for now. Best try to get this onto the blog. Wish me luck. If you see me out running the road with a sledge hammer in my hands and a wild look in my eyes, you'll know what happened!

Peace, each and everyone. It is a long journey - this road to peace. I hope to run into you along the way.

No comments: