Friday, April 18, 2008

So many things.......

There are just so many things all occuring at the same time. It's hard to even sort out how I feel about all of them, let alone how to write about them. I'll leave at, "Life's a bitch sometimes." That's probably the best summation of all.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day today. I had to force myself to go back to work after lunch. A quick trip to the post office and I was caught up in a heady dose of spring fever and had to draw on every bit of my inmost sense of responsibility to go back inside and work! I wanted to go play - at something!! Anything!! "JUST LET ME OUT!!" The word is that it's supposed to be beautiful again tomorrow and up in the 80's. Then rainy on Sunday but warm. First job of the day tomorrow (if I get to be home and not at the hospital catching babies!!) is to open all the windows and let the fresh warm air in!

There are new windows in the house and more being installed tomorrow and Sunday. (The guys are coming at 8 - so much for sleeping in, even if I don't have to catch babies!!). The new windows are great - no propping them up with sticks, no hoping the screens don't fall out! Just unlatch and lift. It's like........ modern!

Two more weeks till I head to Russia. I went by the church today to pick up one of the guitars that's been donated for us to take over and leave at the orphanage. I wanted to get to know it a little before the trip, let my fingers get used to it. I also wanted to see how much room there was in the case to cram clothes in, rolled up as small as they can get, as the guitar is my carry-on and my carry-on is where my clothes are supposed to be. Kristen and Charles were working away, packing all the things for us to take to the kids. It is an overwhelming, heart-warming site - seeing all those things that people donated. Blankets, crafts, kites, softball bats and gloves and balls, soccer balls, hats, mittens, notebooks, back packs!! The list goes on! Kristen said they were saving room in the checked bags for my clothes and Thelma's (Thelma's carrying on the other guitar), so I don't need to panic about making room for clothes. Thank God! I was having all these visions of having to open the guitar case (a soft case) at the security check and all my underwear flying out!! I don't mind wearing the same pair of jeans for a week, but I will have a clean pair of underwear for everyday!! Hey!! a girl can only limit so much!!

Jacob is well. Daniel turned 24 on Wednesday. I can't believe I have a 24-year-old child! I am praying every day that my knee will carry me through this trip! It's still a mess yet, whatever I did to it. I discovered on Wednesday that I now have to wear glasses when I watch a movie. Bummer. This getting older thing....... man! I'm not liking it a whole lot!

My heart is continually longing for home - in whatever way I can find it. The mountains of North Carolina, the sound of my father's voice singing opera in the shower, the sight of my mother's hands working her knitting needles, the smile on Bobbi's face, Steve's sweet and quiet way, Jacob's full body hugs (he's one of the best huggers in the entire world), Daniel's expressive face and his wonderful playing and singing (in his way that is all his!), the wind through the trees in my front yard, the prayers that Alex prays at church, my friends there. I find myself wondering if I'm ever gonna find the place where I truly belong. And it distresses me sometimes because I often feel like I should have already found it. But may "it" is everywhere. Maybe the most important place to belong is here within my own self and then everywhere I am or go?

If it weren't for family and friends helping me out with this trip, I'd not be able to go, even with a scholarship from the church! I am learning to feel better about reaching out. I'm not Chicken Little anymore and I don't have to do it all myself. I am learning lots of things by making this trip - and I haven't even left yet!!

I'd best get some sleep while there's sleep to be gotten! I'm anticipating the beep-beep-beep at any minute!

Get out in the beautiful day tomorrow so that if I miss it, you can tell me about it.
Peace.

No comments: