Monday, May 12, 2008

Home......

Back home. Back to work today. It seems almost surreal to me. Like I have been displaced somehow. I can still hear the children's voices and see their faces in my mind's eye. I hear their names - Vanya, Volve, Sasha, Rudic, Ira, Sonya, Velara, Dema....... I can still feel their warm hugs and picture their smiles. They all had beautiful smiles.

It's hard to believe that just the day before yesterday I was still in Russia. Today I am back at Shore Memorial Hospital. I have already brought two new Americans into this world - a boy and a girl. Two children who will never have to worry about spending any part of their lives in an orphanage. Who will probably always know hot, running water and plenty of meat in their diets. Who will be warm. Who will have more than they need.

We do have poverty here in this country, that is the truth of the matter. Somehow it seems to stay hidden behind some great curtain. You have to get behind it to really see it. In Russia, it is everywhere. Russia is gray. Russia is so old and seems so tired. A huge, sighing country.

I worry more about what will happen to this country when the world starts to collapse. We are a country of spoiled brats. We grow up, even the poorest of us, taking everything for granted. When the days come (and they will come sooner than we all expect) of rationing water and electricity and gasoline, when we all have to stop going, going, going - when we have to learn to conserve, when we are all drowning under the mountains of garbage we create - we will not know how to deal with it, no way. In so many other countries - countries like Russia - going without is a way of life, it is no big deal, it is just the way it is. But for us here in America..... we will completely fall apart and we will be the adult equivalents of children having temper-tantrums because they can't have what they want - angry, violent, selfish, bitter. It's a scary thought. It was in my mind the whole time I was in Russia.

These children demonstrated something to me so clearly. I do not NEED anything more. I don't. I have all that I need plus way more. The task that is now in front of me is to learn to stop wasting, to stop wanting, to stop thinking I need, and to cherish all that I have. These children do it. Their generosity was so genuine. They would make something and immediately give it away, without really even thinking about it. With a sweet smile. With a warm heart. It was so powerful.

Peace.

No comments: