Thursday, December 6, 2007

Secondhand Lions

I went to Jody and Bates' house last night for my banjo lesson. We had spaghetti for dinner and they sipped some wine while I enjoyed a couple of Fosters. I had to relearn "Soldier's Joy" because the song in its entirety had completely gone out of my head. I remembered parts of it, but couldn't remember how to put them all together. This middle-age thing can really be a drag sometimes. I had a wonderful time - I always do have a wonderful time with them! And I think I've got "Soldier's Joy" incorportated into my fingers now. Bates played it into a tape recorder for me, so I can listen to it when I practice if it seems to be lost out in the ozone of my befuddled brain somewhere!

What a great cure that was for the blues that have been following me around for the past three or four days! I could feel my spirit lifting even as I pulled up in their driveway. The blue that followed me back home seems much more disappointed to be parting company with me than I am with it!! I'm ready to just yell, "OUT! OUT! Damn it!". Wish it were that easy.

This is a hard time of year for me. So if the posts tend to fall a little bit to the blue side or the melancholy, bear with me - this too shall pass. It's the time of year. It's the winter and the long hours of darkness. It's the cold that doesn't seem to ever leave my bones! Lordy mercy, I am such a wimp when it comes to cold!! And just think!! I used to live in an old mountain house with no insulation and no heat but for the wood stove - where the pipes froze every winter and the only spot of warmth in the whole house was right beside the woodstove. We used to could see the gusts of cold air come through the room. I mean actually SEE them! And I was not ever so cold as I am these days. Guess that's what comes with age and thyroid disease!!

BRRRR! It was cold at my house this morning! One good thing that comes from the cold mornings at my house? When I do finally manage to drag my butt out of my bed (which is like a big, warm nest), I tend to move very fast!! I'm out of there in 20 minutes or so, just so that I can get in the car and get the car down the road so that the heater will come on!!

After my lesson last night, when I got home, I got under my winter sleeping bag in the my big chair, and watched "Secondhand Lions". It is a delightful film - sweet, funny, touching. I love Robert Duvall. He's a fine actor and seems to have gotten better and better over the years. I remember seeing him in "To Kill a Mockingbird". He was just a young man then. If you haven't seen "Secondhand Lions", I recommend it highly. One of those heartwarmers.

Back to work. Peace!

No comments: