Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It's coming.......

.....and like the IRS, it's out to get you! The "flu" that is. And there's the flu-flu, the throat-flu, the Austrailian-flu, the stomach-flu, and some bizarre kind of respiratory thing going around that's landing people in ICU. All viral. All some mutation of some other virus that mutated from some other virus and so on.

It's creeping into my bones while we speak. I woke this morning with a headache to rival the worst migraine I've ever had and a burning-like-fire throat. Worse than those were the aches in my joints and the inability to get warm. I've been under a blanket as much of the day as work would allow. Fortunately, it hasn't been busy at the hospital today. But I have seen three patients just this afternoon, in labor and delivery, pregnant of course, but with the stomach-flu. I'm getting a different virus, and I sure don't want the stomach thing. Plus I don't want to spread the in-the-throat-chest-head-and-bones virus on to anyone else! But it's hard to go without breathing while trying to get the job of evaluating someone done well.

I gotta make it through tonight. Then I can stay in bed all day tomorrow if need be. I have to go across the Bay on Thursday to give a deposition. Will the fun never end?! Ought to be an even more interesting experience with a fever. I'm already almost beside myself with anxiety about the whole damn deal! Might as well get delusional, huh?! GREAT way to spend Valentine's Day, too. Bah-humbug to that one anyway!!

I hope all of you, loved ones and strangers alike, are spared the flu this year. If you haven't gotten your flu shot, you can still get it. Drink lots of water, get lots of rest, and try to stay warm. Eat your vegetables, too! And a couple of oranges, apples, and/or other good fruits a day.

Good luck! It's a viral jungle out there.
Peace.

No comments: