Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Own Private Obsession

In the dazzling dance of my own mind
You have become my own private obsession.
Sometimes tiny and fragile, like a bird
Caught inside the small screened porch.
I move from corner to corner
Trying not to frighten
Wanting to set you free
To see you soar up and out of sight
To hear you singing with joy and relief.
Sometimes you are as beautiful as a spring dawn
New and full of hope eternal, hope renewed
Asking only for eyes to gaze at you
Awe-struck and silent.
I gaze and I gaze and you are
More beautiful the longer I stare at the turns
of your hills and valleys,
your Life-worn face.
Sometimes you are the fleeting glimpse,
The corner-of-the-eye,
The slight of hand.
Here then gone then back again.
I don't know what to do with you.
I hide you inside the arch of my back,
The catch of my breath,
Or the ache of my skin.
You, my own quiet obsession,
My stranger, my mystery.
My lover once-removed.
Distant cousin to loneliness.
Obsessed as the obsessor.
Obsessed like me.

No comments: