Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Eternal Appalachian Home

My Eternal Appalachian Home

High up above these mountains,
where time stands still
in the silence of snow.
I will float on in notes.

My melody will meld
with that of the forest
and become a deafening roar
that rolls down the valley below.

And the rhododendrons
will turn in bloom to listen
and the giant oaks,
that strain against valley floors
to catch a glimpse of the sun,
will chime in unison with my song.

The pines will weep
tears of tar and joy,
and the hemlocks
and other evergreens,
steadfast in their own schedule,
will hold my note
when it becomes but a winter whisper.

And as the clouds roll in
to make islands of these mountains
and the silence of snow
sings it’s own song

I will float on in notes.
Held above the hills
gathering like a flock
waiting for springs warmth
to fill the valleys with music,
a millennia of melodies
-----Daniel Perry, My Eternal Appalachian Home, February 2009

This is a poem that my son Daniel wrote. I think it's incredibly beautiful. I'm going to print it out and hang it up on my refrigerator, like I did when he was little and still at home with me. When I read it, I feel close to him. And I feel the pull of those mountains that are so much a part of the people that we are.

Peace all. Love to my folks. Love to my mountains and all the folks there that I miss so much.

No comments: