Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My father.......

My father has been diagnosed with cancer in his brain. Two large tumors. They believe that the tumors will probably take him from us soon. Not much time to prepare, but time enough only to love. Time enough only to understand how precious every minute has become.

My father is a beautiful, loving man. Kind. Happy. Open. He's never known a stranger. And so he remains. There are blessings to be found, even in the midst of this sadness that feels so heavy in my heart. He has no pain. And so he is, and we are, spared the agony that so many must endure. He has a hard time processing things now and an even harder time keeping things in his mind. That change came about so quickly. He was a bit forgetful and then suddenly, a part of his mind disconnected from the others. And so he is not anxious or worried or disheartened. All weekend in the hospital, he smiled at everyone who came in the door. He thanked every single person he came in contact with - from the neurologist and the oncologists to the housekeeping folks and the guy who brought his lunch. He looked at each person, sought out their eyes, and when he made eye contact he smiled broadly, said "how are you doing today?", and thanked them for their help. If they were within reach, he touched them. That's my dad.

That's where so much of me comes from.

I don't know how I will do this part of life. I'm not sure how it goes. Do you know what I mean? I know that I am strong and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get through this and we'll all be alright. But I just don't know HOW. I am surrounded by so much love, it's almost as if I could pull it up over me and wrap myself inside of it, like a blanket. I think of how many people don't have that. I am so incredibly lucky. I am so grateful. Gratitude is filling me up these past few days. I was grateful for the beautiful warm day on Sunday. I was grateful for my brothers and sisters and the way we all agreed on my father's care and supported my mom in her decisions. No fighting. A united family. And gratitude spills over into my spirit and rolls down my cheeks in glittering tears. I am so grateful for all these years that I've had with my dad, many I thought I wouldn't. I am so grateful to have celebrated my dad's eightieth birthday with him.

When I had to leave on Sunday to come back to the Eastern Shore, I thought that my heart was going to break open. There are no words for how I felt. I know my mom understood because she felt that way so many times when she had to leave her own mom and dad in New Jersey and pull out of the driveway to head back to North Carolina. My mom's understanding helped me. I couldn't speak as we turned onto US 1. Scott drove. He didn't speak. He didn't make me speak. He just held my hand and listened to the songs I played on the car stereo - one of the ways I cry. And I was so grateful for that warm hand to hold. And the ability to cry in my strange way of crying - singing songs that speak for me.

In the days ahead, the tears of gratitude will be sweet grace, and angels will be all around me and my family, and especially my father. The angels know him well. He is one of them.

Peace all.

PS - If you can, hug your father today with love and intention. If you can't, hug your kid instead. And if you can't do either - hug a complete stranger in honor of the people who brought you into this world.

1 comment:

I'm not Lisa said...

Gratitude will save your spirit and heal the deepest hurt. Gratitude will bring a smile to your face and a light to your eyes, even in the midst of sadness. Gratitude is a gift. And it is free. It is easy to find. Just open your heart and feel.....