Monday, November 19, 2007

Being different.....

I'm different. I know that I'm different. I've always been different. I think I realized it sometime back in junior high school. I was just one step off from everybody else. There have been so many times in my life, especially in my adult life, that people have said to me, "You're different from anybody else I've ever known." I was (am) a different kind of mom. I am a different sort of midwife - kind of a strange half-breed between art and science. I walk just a little bit out of step. I'm different from my brothers and my sisters, but yet strangely the same given our shared genetics and histories. I'm very different from my mom, though I look so much like her and our voices are the same, our handwriting is the same, our way of loving the world is the same. I am very different from the folks here on the Eastern Shore.

I remember so many times that I've tried not to be different. Lord, what a mess I was in high school in all my attempts to NOT be different. My choices, so much of the time, of people to emulate, to try to fit in and be the same, were not always the best of choices. In high school, I wore ugly Earth shoes but make-up, too, all painted on my face. I skipped school and shop-lifted. I smoked and drank and partied with the kids that partied hard. I wanted to belong. I did things that I knew weren't right for me, even things that I didn't like to do, just to find some end to that "feeling different" kind of feeling.

Sometime about the time that I went to college, I stopped a lot of that. I started learning to accept the fact that I was different from everybody else. That my brain worked in a different sort of way. I cried when other people were happy and laughing. I stopped crying and learned to sing sad songs instead. I walked my own path. I am different. And I know that I am different.

But I am a good person. I am a good mom, a good friend, a good midwife. I am one of God's wonderous creations.

I went by my friends' Jody and Bates' house this evening on my way home from seeing patients at the Health Department. Bates is my banjo teacher. They are good friends to me. I love being around them because they help me feel connected. Connected to something that I can't even verbalize - just connected. The folks in my Monday night Bible Study help me feel that way, too - connected. We are pulled together and connected to one another by a universal need to reach out and find that. For people like me, who feel different and have always felt different, those kind of connections are a gift beyond measure. I love and need those connections in my life. They help me understand that, while I'm solitary, I'm not alone. That I don't have to fear loneliness. They are the answer to it. They stand it down and hold me up. They look at me and smile at me and laugh with me at all my different-ness, as though it is a blessing and not something to try to hide, not something to try to change out of myself, but something to spread out in front of others and offer it up as a gift. The gift that is me - the person the my parents created with all of their love and care.

Thanks to Jody and Bates for loving my different-ness in spite of itself.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Peace.

No comments: