Saturday, November 10, 2007

Doing charts

I've been working on charts all afternoon. I hate doing charts. Mostly, it's the dictation I hate. So I'm bad about procrastinating and letting the charts build up in my box. Then I get red slips from the hospital. And they're obviously red slips, so that anybody that sees my box at the office knows that I'm in trouble with my charts again. One of the things about nursing - as with any job I guess - if not for the paperwork, it might be great!

So as I was working on charts I was thinking about relationships. (yes, I do multitask, thank you for noticing). I was thinking mostly about why relationships are so damn hard for some of us and so easy for others. I told a friend of mine once that I was beginning to really believe that people who make relationships look easy are pretending! And I know my grandmother would have admitted, despite her always-positive attitude, that her very long marriage to my grandfather was not easy. I hang out with my parents (54 years married and counting!) and feel better, feel reassured that it isn't always easy. I'm sure that sounds weird - that I would feel reassured, but I do. It helps me believe that, even if it's hard, it can be good and it can last a long, long time.

Relationships (the intimate kind) are very difficult for me. I don't think it was always like that, but then again..... well, maybe it was. It's hard to remember that far back. My adolescence was such a storm anyway!! Seems that, for a good part of my life, I would get in a relationship and, in no time at all, I would lose myself. Just kind of give up essential parts to try to be "pleasing". Next thing I'd know, I would hardly recognize myself anymore. I stayed out of relationships for a long time, until I felt strong enough and comfortable enough in my own skin to not get lost. I have thought that standing my ground and keeping true myself was the best thing to do.

But then..... words like "bitchy" and "self-centered" and "selfish" come around. And I wonder - "damn! am I really a bitch? am I really self-centered? (I am selfish sometimes - aren't we all? I think that is human nature. If you don't believe me, go to a preschool and watch two-year-olds with their toys!) Or am I just taking care of myself? Am I taking care of myself or am I being stubborn? Am I trying to hold my own or am I missing out on something other people have that I don't have because I'm taking care of myself? Are there some of us that are just meant to be solitary?! Is it not possible for another person to love you and let you have the freedom to be who you are?! Did Lucy secretly love Charlie Brown and the whole Schroder thing was just a show?! (Just kidding, we all know she loves Schroder and only Schroder and always will - him and his little piano).

I hate those kind of questions. Who knows the right answer? Who knows how much is the right amount to give without giving up essential parts of yourself? How do you know when to stop? I haven't found that place in the middle yet. And I haven't found a man who is patient enough to wait it out and let me flounder through the process.

I'd like to just go about it a little tiny bit at a time, ya know? Give a little - wait; give a little more, wait again. Seems like that way, the place where you need to stop giving up yourself would be easier to find. Seems like I'm either not giving enough or I'm giving it all.

So I divided all the charts in my box in half, so the task to get them done would not be so overwhelming. They're half done now. The other half tomorrow. Tomorrow, while I'm doing charts, I think I'll try to get my mind to reflect on this: who the hell thought of Sudoku and what made them do it?!

Later.

No comments: