Monday, November 12, 2007

Things you get used to

There are things you get used to, don't even think about, until you realize they are missing from your life. Simple things - small gifts of daily existence that give you little pieces of happiness. Like the light on the back of the house that shines a little light into the dark of the back yard and makes it not seem so scary or lonely when you come home late at night. Like the sound of your child's beat-up jalopy pulling up in the driveway, late for dinner again but home safe and sound. Like the warm breeze of a summer morning sailing across the threshold when you open the door in the morning to step out onto the porch and sip hot coffee. Stopping by your parents' house at just the right time to have lunch, dinner, or coffee. Calling your best friend when she's driving home from work and asking, "Whatcha' doin'?" and hearing (just like you expected), "Coming to your house?", even though she's almost home.

I've been thinking about all those things today. I miss them, sometimes so much I feel like I could cry, but, in the end, I am so grateful to have all those little things stored inside my heart. That is happiness all by itself. I am happy today. And full of gratitude for those little things. Gratitude for all those little things absolutely softens the disappointments over the big things that didn't work out or never showed up or that I created for myself. Gratitude is a gift. I say "Thank you". And I am blessed.

Now, time to go put a new light bulb in the light at the back of the house.

More peace to ya!

No comments: