Friday, January 4, 2008

Bedtime stories

I've been listening to Harry Potter books on tape. I listened to the fifth book as I was knitting before Christmas and the sixth book as I travelled home for the holidays (nine hours in the car is a long time in the car!!). I've just started the last book, which was a Christmas present from my boys. I'd read and listened to all the other books before, but this is a new one (I've read it but haven't heard it). Books on tape are quite addicting! And better than TV or movies because they still require you to use your imagination. I've got a great imagination!! And I like to keep it in good shape. A good imagination can save one from making not-so-good choices (but that's a whole 'nother subject!!!).

Jim Dale reads all of the Harry Potter books and he does GREAT voices! It's like the greatest bedtime story ever! I love it. I decided to take a few days off from knitting (carpal tunnel syndrome!). And so I just sit in my rocker in the kitchen, with my candles lit, and the kerosene heater going, all the lights out save one small one, and the dog and the cats stretched out nearby. I rock and I listen. And I sometimes sit forward in my chair, leaning toward the boom box, full of the thrill of the story. Sometimes, I lean back with my eyes closed and play the story out in my mind's eye as I listen. I picture the Harry Potter in the pictures in the book (not the Harry Potter in the movies). This must be what it was like before TV - when radio was the only way to go! I would have loved that!

It's another one of those kid-like things that is simple and uncomplicated. A bedtime story unfolding. It's peaceful and quiet in my kitchen but for the sound of Jim Dale's voice. Someone once said that it's the simple things in life that are the best. I can feel the truth of that when I'm rocking in the rocker.

There are a lot of complicated things in my world. Fortunately, my kitchen is not one of them.

Peace.

No comments: