Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Escaping your own mind

Another long day at the big house. And it's going to be another long night. The baby is on his way, but he's certainly taking his good sweet time! (I think he's going to be a big one!). My mind is going in a hundred different directions and I wish there was a way to escape from it. Escape from all the thought processes going on in there at the same time. Maybe that's what the "ooohmms" are good for (though I have a hard time being successful with the ohms because I generally start daydreaming about something and then making grocery lists and to-do lists and ........ well!!?? some women do that when they're engaged in other activities, ya know?! I just do it when I'm trying to meditate!!).

I've been thinking about how much we get in our own way. I've been thinking about how to get more oil in my oil tank so that I can run the furnace when I have company if it's cold. I've been thinking about my dad and my kids and my friend Bobbi and my friend Browne and about how to play "Arkansas Traveller" on the banjo and did I forget it? and about how God sometimes calls my name when I'm thinking I'm completely lost and how work is sometimes so hard so no wonder they call it work and about how friendships can save your life and lovers can break your heart and how badly they need to replace the faucets in the maternity ward and if Pete the cat is picking on Buster the cat who lives in the tree and and and....... see how I get in my own way? No wonder peace and contentment seem like such distant things!! I can't get my mind to shut up for even five minutes!!

I want to be happy. I get in my own way that way sometimes. Maybe I'm like a lot of people who have some inner thing going on that constantly pokes a stick at sore and sad places and whispers, "you don't deserve it". I don't know. I don't seem that way to me. I have been happy before. I'll be happy again. This too shall pass.

I was telling a friend just the other day that sometimes the only thing you can do is say to yourself - over and over and over again - "it will get better, it always does." I'm thinking of requesting that as my epitath (did I spell that right?). Maybe somebody could make a little plaque with that on it and put it out on the edge of Linville Gorge in my honor.

It'll get better - it always does.

Spring is only 10 weeks away!! 10!! Just 10! And it's only 20 more weeks until the annual Family Night at the Opera! and then we'll be swimming in the Bay before we know it!

Peace. That's what I want. Peace to ya.

No comments: