Friday, January 25, 2008

Malaika's poem for Heath Ledger



Heath Ledger

Of course I did not know him,
His was just a face;
That I fancied in my daydreams,
In some enchanted place.

And yet it broke my heart to learn, that he had died so young
With all he had accomplished, still his life had just begun.
So many things unfinished, his young daughter left behind
His race is run, but he’s not won—and now there is no time.
No time left for wisdom, accrued through all the years, to share his gift with friends, to comfort someone’s fears.
No gray hairs, each silver strand, hard earned along the way, and with it pride for all t’was learned and tested day by day
No chance to see the daughter grown, to nurture through the years, to be the father that she needs to see her through her tears.

Some claim we have no say, in when our time is come
And yet was maybe a mistake that made his day undone
Who knows if we shall ever know, the truth of his demise
Still it makes me sad, that one so young has died.

Of course I did not know him,
His was just a face;
That I fancied in my daydreams,
In some enchanted place.

No comments: