Sunday, January 6, 2008

The boy is home.....


Back from Colorado, all in one piece and the car's still going strong! My silent, prayerful vigil can now stop and I can go back to worrying about simple things like how to stay warm and how to pay the car insurance and the car payment and the rent all out of one check and still have money left over for the upcoming annual festivities at the Home Place!
I'm so glad he's back!!
Sometimes we're given a glimpse of what our parents went through - either by our own children or by watching our friends with their children and all the stuff that goes on where kids are involved!! Lord, I think about how much I must have worried my parents!! My boys are great kids! They really are. And this one wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary or over the edge. He just made a blitz trip to Colorado with a carful of his closest friends. It was all the other folks on the highways that made me worry!
He said they had a great time. They camped out on New Year's Eve in 8 inches of snow (oh to be that young and hardy again!!). I would have loved to have just seen them all together. Great group of kids! Gives me such great optimism about the future!
I was thinking about all the trips I took when I was his age. A bunch of them (thank God!) my parents didn't even know about. Many roads were travelled just by using my thumb and a smile - back in the day. Back in the time when you could do such things and, for the most part, nobody troubled you. The world's not so kind nowadays.
I hitchhiked across the North Carolina mountains once during a week of incredibly beautiful fall weather. I met some hippies - my first real encounter with hippies - and had a great adventure. Ah, but I digress. That's a whole 'nother story.
Tomorrow night, I'll celebrate Jacob's safe return to Chapel Hill. Maybe have a couple of Newcastle to celebrate (I'm on call tonight - so tonight I'm celebrating by lighting the candles and by turning on the furnace for a little while to take the chill from the house). Less than two weeks, and I'll have the boys here for the weekend! Another reason, all in itself, to celebrate!
Peace.

No comments: