Thursday, January 3, 2008

Faith and friendship....... (revised)

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for." Hebrews 11:1


I have hoped for so many things: peace, contentment, love...... those things that have proven to be so elusive to me sometimes. And yet, I continue to hope. Hope for you, hope for me. I had so many hopes. And, as those hopes diminished, I kept wanting to hold on, to hold out, to reach out, to keep hoping hoping hoping.


I have faith. I tried to speak one night about faith and about the internal struggles I have with different aspects of my life and my spirit and how my faith can get so weak sometimes. I was trying to talk about being troubled in my spirit. I believe that troubles of the spirit are directly and proportionately related to depression. Depression is, I believe, in fact, an illness of the spirit.
And something inside of me cracked or broke away or changed. I cannot find my way back to it.

My faith is strong. I hoped that it would be strong enough for all of us, for the whole world, for whatever life sends. That I am naive is evident. That I want more than I can have is evident, too. My faith is mine.

I lost faith. In me. In my own ability to be a good person. In my own ability to love God and life and the world, regardless of any opinion of me.

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for". I hope I find my way home. I am praying a lot these days. I have a lot of hope. My faith is strong.

No comments: